How many apprentices and trainees does the City employ across various departments and does the City have a policy or strategy about Vocational Education and Training?
Answer by the Lord Mayor
The City of Sydney offers a variety of entry-level roles that include vocational training; there are currently 26 positions including Apprentices, Student Planners, Cadet Engineers, Undergraduate Engineers, Undergraduate Surveyors, Trainees, and International Interns. In addition, the City supports Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander school-based trainees and currently hosts 7 trainees. Run in partnership with Aboriginal Employment Strategy, an indigenous national recruitment company, this program gives Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students the opportunity to gain paid work experience for two years while they complete school. In 2015, the City partnered with ArtsReady and now supports 4 new ArtsReady trainees. ArtsReady is a new traineeship program which gives school leavers the chance to gain paid work experience in the creative and cultural sector while completing a TAFE business certificate. The City also offers opportunities for student placements and interns and currently hosts 10 placements in a mix of paid and non-paid arrangements. The City has a Learning and Development policy, a Volunteer policy and a Work Experience procedure. The Work Experience procedure encourages managers and supervisors to provide students and other members of the community with work experience to gain practical experience and develop workplace skills and confidence. People engaged in the following programs may be eligible to participate in the City’s work experience program:
• School work-experience programs
• TAFE work-experience programs or compulsory work placements
• University work-experience programs or compulsory work placements
• Government labour market and community-based work-experience programs
• Recognised rehabilitation programs.
• Community members (where opportunities appropriate to the knowledge, skills, competencies and expectations of the work experience are available within a City business unit)
• Graduate interns seeking work experience in specialised areas of the City.