Lord Mayor, on 28 May 2015, Andrew Constance MP, Minister for Transport and Infrastructure and Duncan Gay MLC, Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight announced: • the release of the construction schedule for Sydney Light Rail from September 2015 to June 2018 when testing commences;
• the construction of a 12 kilometre route would be staged across 31 construction zones;
• construction access for Moore Park West Corridor would commence September 2015; and
• major CBD works would begin on George Street between King and Market Streets on 23 October 2015.
As part of that announcement, the Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Andrew Constance stressed the importance of recognising the challenges to be experienced during the construction phase, noting ‘today is about providing businesses plenty of time to prepare and plan well ahead of major construction activity’.
The Sydney Light Rail website currently states ‘Constructing the new CBD and South East Light Rail route through a busy urban environment will not be without challenges, however keeping Sydney ‘Open for Business’ during this process is a primary goal of the project team. Transport for NSW will work with key partners at City of Sydney and Randwick City Councils in developing appropriate measures to mitigate impacts or loss of trade during construction’.
There are just over 12 weeks until Sydney Light Rail construction commences in September 2015 at the Moore Park West Corridor as advised on 28 May 2015.
Consequently, will the City undertake the following action:
1. as a priority, write to all business owners in the City of Sydney LGA that will be impacted by Sydney Light Rail to advise them of the Light Rail construction route that will run from George Street in the CBD through to Devonshire Street in Surry Hills; and
2. write to the Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Andrew Constance and Duncan Gay MLC, Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight to request that support for business owners along the Sydney Light Rail construction route in the City of Sydney LGA commence immediately